Risk & Insurance magazine recently conducted a video interview with Healthesystems’ Chief Medical Officer, Robert Goldberg, MD, FACOEM, and AVP of Advocacy & Compliance, Sandy Shtab, regarding the growing impact of medical marijuana from the public policy and healthcare perspectives – including workers’ compensation.
Marijuana’s growing support has unfolded a variety of complex and multifaceted considerations that impact care providers, payers, and patients. Risk & Insurance’s Roberto Ceniceros leads a provocative conversation focusing on:
- The potential benefits and risks faced by workers’ compensation payers in reimbursing medical marijuana as a treatment for chronic pain
- Current perspectives on marijuana as a partial solution to countering the negative outcomes associated with opioid use
- Growing acceptance among physicians of marijuana as a viable treatment option
- Employer concerns over workplace safety and impairment testing
- Current and future roles of PBMs in helping payers to navigate the fast-changing medical marijuana landscape